BEASTHOOD BY A.Z. GREEN - author interview & Review

What does A.Z. Green want us to know about her? The rules are simple. There are 20 questions but you only have to answer 10-15: ...

What does A.Z. Green want us to know about her?


The rules are simple. There are 20 questions but you only have to answer 10-15:

As a writer, what drives you?
The need to write a story that hasn't been told yet. I want something written that hasn't been done, so I do it myself.

As a woman, what drives you?
Love, passion, family, faith and hope. The need to better myself and be a decent person. To be my own person and know my self worth.

Can you tell us about Beasthood?
Short and simple: Beasthood is about a girl who finds out she's a Werebeast amongst many other tough truths after years of lies. She undergoes mental and physical challenges that push her to the edge. Many readers connect with Jaz, the MC, because of her struggles and how she comes out on top, and how it strengthens her character. The book is a shape-shifter novel but that's not the main plot drive. It's about the people.

How much of yourself is hidden in the characters in your books?
I'd say Jaz is the most like me but it's inevitable all the characters have a piece of me in them. God help them. Jaz's feistiness and some of her back story and general quirks are from my own. Her sharp tongue, sarcasm, passion and insecurities are some of the things we have in common.

Describe yourself in five words…
Outspoken, friendly, sensitive, passionate, creative

Do you have specific techniques you use to develop the plot and stay on track?
My techniques are a mix of scribbling notes that I may later forget, repeating scenes over and over in my head, going with the flow as I write, and then as I get past the bits I'm certain on, I type bullet points below the story and highlight what I've done when I've written it. It depends on the novel and the point in the novel.

If you were a character in your book you would be…
The wise best friend who wouldn't be interested in the dull, unoriginal main hottie and go for the brooding, grumpy guy with his own demons. My life would revolve around having to put up with the constant dilemmas of my besties and dishing out advice they'd probably ignore.

Time for over and under… (In your humble opinion) famous overrated/underrated book?
Overrated: Fifty Shades. It's just ridiculous and promotes such a negative form of BDSM. I've read extracts of it and peoples' quotes of it and I will never read it. Even if it was the last book on earth.
Underrated: There are many but two that I can think of right now and believe deserve more recognition are Lian Hearn's Tales of the Otori and Helene Wecker's The Golem and the Jinni. Both are so wonderfully written.

Overrated/underrated movie? Overrated:
Too many to count. But first film to pop into my head would be Mortal Instruments. I haven't read the book/s so I can't comment on them but I don't plan to either. It's fan fiction based on Harry Potter for one, and I just hate the characters, plot and overall premise. It could have been good. But it just so, so wasn't.
Underrated: this is a tough one because I'm not sure of the overall opinion about these films. But they don't seem to be getting the buzz that other films  -which are dire-  have been getting. About Time, Don Jon, Filth, Welcome to the Punch. I like satire, indie, British, gritty movies (I know Don Jon is American). Movies that push the boundaries and actually feel real when you watch them. But they rarely get the publicity they deserve.

Time for favourite: song, color, book, TV series, movie, food, drink…
With these, I tend to go with what I'm feeling at the time I answer them so the answer usually differs.
Song: Pharrell – Cloud Away
Colour: Red
Book:  Aurora Sky Vampire Hunter series by Nikki Jefford (am reading now and can't put it down)
TV Series: Once Upon a Time (also watching now and I'm addicted)
Movie: Howl's Moving Castle
Food: Pizza
Drink: Sour cherry soda

How (or when) do you decide that you are finished writing a story?
I don't get to decide really. I just know how I want it to end and the writing decides when it wants to get there. For a series, it's a little different. Writing 'Beasthood' and the the second book 'Beast of Burden' has given me the option of separating out scenes into book two and three so I can decide whether to leave it at three books or do the four I'd originally planned. I think it may be three and then if I ever get inspiration I could do a bonus book. A prequel or an in between novel. Like a 2.5 book and have it in the view point of another character. I have more control over that.

The good guy, the bad boy and the right guy…could they be one and the same?
If the guy has multiple personality disorder. Baha! No, but seriously, sure why not. Because a guy can be good, bad and right. It all boils down the person's perspective who is labelling him this or that. He may not be bad, but he may have done something that is bad, or looks bad. Anyone can do good and bad things. Personalities are not black and white.

If you could have a power or ability what would it be?

Right now, teleportation. Saves paying for a plane ticket.

BEASTHOOD
SERIES –  The Hidden Blood Series, #1
AUTHOR –  A.Z. Green
GENRE – Paranormal romance/ dark fantasy/ new adult

What would you do if you discovered you weren't human? That you turned into a bloodthirsty monster against your will?
What if your instincts, emotions and desires were torn between your own and the dark, dangerous animal lurking inside of you?
If it could make you yearn for someone you shouldn't, make you say and act in ways you wouldn't and overwhelm your whole existence?
If everything you'd ever known about your life was a lie?
In a world where a deeply hidden community is swathed in mystery, deadly secrets, betrayal and murder, Jaz Barker struggles to fight against the dangerous Beast within her and the emotions and desires it thrusts her way.
When tensions ride high and people she cares about are put in danger, she will have to decide how much of her newly awakened animal-side she's willing to let in.
And if it is worth the risk...



My Review
Beasthood
3 stars

***I RECEIVED AN ARC IN EXCHANGE OF THE HONEST REVIEW***

This year have been reading books in one to two days. I just drop everything, hide in my room and get down to business. I did the same with Beasthood and it made it easier to follow. The beginning was really promising, Jaz went through a really traumatic event, but no one believed her. Worst, they lied to her about it. She has been lied to about everything. Who she was… What she was… Where she really came from… Jaz’s life wasn’t built on trust. But things were about to change.
I have to commend the author for her creative and original way of telling the story, but sometimes I got lost with when some scenes are taking place. I had to go back and double check the timestamps. I also had an issue with the ending, I like cliffhangers, but this one didn’t feel like one to me. I felt like nothing got resolved in this book. We were left with more questions.
Fans on Weres should enjoy this different interpretation. I personally liked the fact that they were in England and not some next to the Rocky Mountains for a change. I liked the fact that for once they were not barren, eventhough it created all these issues. And as usual, I’m always a sucker for the M word… mates. 

Related

Review 8319749591105202910

Post a Comment

emo-but-icon

Follow Us

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Danielle-Claude has read 15 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Hot This Week

Comments

Connect Us

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *

LOVE BETWEEN THE SHEETS

Love between the sheets

My Family's Heart Book Reviews and Tours

GIRLS HEART BOOKS TOUR

http://www.girlsheartbookstours.com

Tasty Book tours Host

Tasty Book Tours

CLP TOURS

item